top of page

Permit Preparation & Training

Permit | ELDT Theory | Behind-the-Wheel

Before heading to Behind-the-Wheel orientation for the DLTS Training Program, you will need to obtain your Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP). Our training program will help you earn your Class A or B Commercial Driver's License (CDL), but first, you will need to obtain your permit on your own in your home state. The info below will help guide you through the process of getting your permit.

Truck Driving by Lake


Actions Required for CLP

  • You must be at least 18 years of age (Must be at least 21 to drive for most companies)

  • Possess a state issued, non-commercial driver’s license to accompany your commercial permit (Class A, B, C, D, and F)

  • Provide proof of citizenship or lawful residency

    • Birth certificate

    • Valid passport

    • Right to work documents approved by homeland
      security ie I94, I55 credentials, which could include a green card

  • Communicate efficiently in English pursuant to 391.11
    (b)2 guidelines

  • Pass all required background checks

Learner's Permit: 3-Steps


Take DOT Physcial

  • Schedule a Department of Transportation (DOT) Physical near you. 

  • Download the Driver Pulse app by Tenstreet on your phone. 

  • Use Driver Pulse app to view the DOT Physical appointment information and barcode. The clinic will scan your barcode from the app. 

  • Take DOT Physical and obtain a long form physical (Medical Examination Report Form) plus your medical card. 

  • In some states, you will need to take the long form physical and medical card both to the DMV for permit testing as well as to the DLTS onsite training. 


Study for Permit Exam

  • Study for these sections:

    • General Knowledge

    • Air Brakes

    • Combination Vehicles

    • Passenger Endorsement (if applicable)

  • Utilize online study guides and practice tests. Here are a few resources we would recommend:

  • Recommended apps to study for the written permit exam:


Take Permit Exam

  • Go to your local Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) to take the Class A CDL Learner’s Permit. Type "Local DMV" in a search engine (e.g. Google) and the nearest location will appear.

  • Fill out a medical certification form at the DMV that says “Non-Excepted Interstate”. 

  • Ensure your permit does not have a K Restriction or Intrastate-Only Restriction, especially important for Class A. 

  • Save a copy of your Learner's Permit (front and back) once obtained along with your pre-existing Drivers License; this is required by DLTS before starting Behind-the-Wheel training.

DLTS Training Platform.jpg

A CLP, otherwise known as a commercial learner’s permit, is similar to other driver’s permits. Once you have obtained it, you can begin truck driver training with experienced instructors. After you’ve completed your training, you can then take the necessary steps to acquire your CDL, which allows you to begin driving on your own. 


This can vary by state. For most, your CLP should expire after 180 days from the date it was issued. States like Missouri allow you to keep your CLP for 360 days before it expires. In Iowa, you can keep your permit for a full year before it expires. Check your individual state’s rules to understand better how long a CLP will be valid.



Again, the cost of a commercial learner’s permit varies by state. For example, in Missouri, you can get your CLP for $41.00. Check with your state to find out how much you’ll be asked to pay for your CLP (see below). 

bottom of page